New Business with NEIS has now ended – but our support for you is still available with additional assistance making the program better than ever.
Interested in starting your own business? Have a hobby and are ready to take it to the next stage to create a viable business? You may be eligible to participate in the Self Employment Assistance (previously the NEIS program).
NEIS (New Enterprise Incentive Scheme) was a free small business training program backed by the Federal Government to help eligible Western Australians establish and run their own businesses. This government funded program included free accredited small business training, mentoring for the first 12 months of operating your business as well as NEIS income support for up to 39 weeks to help kick start your new venture (subject to eligibility).
To discover the changes and additional benefits available for anyone seeking to start their own business head to our Self-Employment Assistance page for information about how to get support in starting your own business.
To Be Eligible for Self Employment Assistance (previously NEIS) you must:
- be at least 18 years old when they start Self Employment Assistance
- be available to participate in Training (if required) and work Full-Time in the proposed business
- not be prohibited by law from working in Australia
- not be an overseas visitor on a working holiday visa or an overseas student studying in Australia
- not be an undischarged bankrupt
Business Eligibility Criteria remain the same as for the previous proposed NEIS
- are not currently operating on a commercial basis
- have an independent business structure
- are lawful and capable of withstanding public scrutiny
- have been assessed as Commercially Viable by ABS Institute
- will be established, located and operated solely within Australia
- will be structured so the person has and will maintain a controlling interest over the
business for the duration of the person’s period on the program.
The NEIS programs do not provide any start-up grants or loans.